8 common myths about Self harm.

 Here are some common myths about self harm....that are NOT true!

1.Self-harm is the same as a suicide attempt.
2. Self-harm is superficial and not dangerous.
3. Self-harm is manipulative.
4. If you self-harm, you have borderline personality disorder.
5. Self-harm is a female problem.
6. Self-harm is crazy, sick, and irrational.
7. You must resolve your underlying issues before you can stop self-harm.
8. If you resolve all your underlying issues, your self-harm will go away.

Comments

Char said…
Thanks Siobhán for sharing these myths, I think it's really important to make people aware of how severe self mutilation can be. I used to cut myself as a form control over something in my life. I know it was a very unhealthy lifestyle and when my cutting began to turn into habit, I turned to friends and sites like http://onlineceucredit.com/edu/social-work-ceus-sm to help prevent me from injuring myself any further and a new form of release.

Popular posts from this blog

A prisoner of my own mind

An unexpected week

Shame