Siobhán do you have a plaster?

So I have just spent my weekend gong from Celbridge up to Larch hill. I went up on Friday for the start of the 2011 county camp. I decided not to stay over so that I would be able to get my homework done and because I didn’t really want to stay over. I headed up to Larch Hill on Friday around five where I gathered up all of the beavers from 19th Kildare salesains and we started to try and figure out how to put up a tent. I was so glad to find out that I only had to set up one tenet and that was my dad’s so if that blew away it was ok..... The beaver’s tents were all ready set up. Me and Adam one of the beavers put up my dad’s tent, and it only took us about half an hour..... I thought that was pretty good.

After that we didn’t do much and I soon went home after fighting with Adam about why I wasn’t staying over and after I got covered in grass with it stuck in pockets, my hood and down my top. So I went home and got a good night’s sleep and most of my homework done. I’m not the biggest fan of camping seeing as how the last time I went camping I was with Kellie and we needed up sleeping on a slant! I had to go down each day because I was one of the two people who volunteered to do the first aid for the weekend. That’s why my title is “Siobhán do you have a plaster?” That was what I heard the most over that last two days and I had a wide range of plasters.... I had Mr Happy plasters, Ms Helpful plasters, Monkey plasters, Blue plasters, White plasters and the normal plaster. Most of the time spent doing first aid I was asking the children what plasters they wanted!

Anyway most of the activities started today and I had a very early morning getting collected at half eight this morning....... Half eight on a Saturday morning..... I was not a happy camper (That’s another one of my very bad jokes..... get it camper and camping right back to the subject) But I made it there to be greeted by lots of screaming little kids. Before I knew it I was handing out plaster and using my magic spray to make everybody better. We were soon off to our first activity which was orienteering..... I was out in charge of the map..... I got us lost before we even got out of the car park of Larch Hill. At that point people felt that I should give the map to another leader Brenda..... I love Brenda she is amazing, I was her cushion for most of the day. There were lots of activities, from making fires to water relays and crazy optical courses which included my little buddy getting a burst lip but with the help of my magic ice pack he was as good as new in no time.

There were a lot of activities to be done and there was also a lot of first aid to be done. I don’t think that I have ever used a first aid kit so much before in my life and that is saying a lot because I am very accident prone and I am always needing a first aid kit! I had a better time than I expected to be honest, I had a laugh with the leaders, good fun with the rest of the ventures,  felt like a kid again with the beavers and had a great time with Kellie.

I also made a new first aid buddy.... Connor. We got on great all tough he knew me as Damian’s daughter for most of the day even though I had two stickers in my jumper with my name on it. I got a free t-shirt out of it which are pretty awesome and there blue so I think I might wear it for the fun walk in school. Shane designed the logo while my dad printed it out on the t-shirts..... My house was full of t-shirts or the last week. I am glad to see that they are all gone! I also got a free hoodie made by my dad as well with first aid on the back.... just so people would be able to find me if they needed me.

I had an awesome day but I think I managed to get my face a bit sunburnt because the sun was really strong.... hopefully it won’t be really red on Monday morning for school! I have decided not to go back to the camp tomorrow because I am very tired and not feeling the best and well tomorrow they will only be taking down their tents and packing up. It was a great weekend no matter how tired I am I enjoyed myself and will have no problem going back to the beavers on Monday night. I do however have a plane to teach them how to sing songs as there was a couple of times where I was left singing on my own. But I had a great time and I would recommend for people to get involved with scouts because it is amazing and great fun :)

Comments

tykellie said…
That is so weird! I got sunburned on my nose too. And i got bit or stung on my shoulder. Such a funny day. Those little miss helpful plasters really made everything better. And nearly attacking emmet to bandage his arm. Such a good day. Such a good day!!!

Popular posts from this blog

A prisoner of my own mind

An unexpected week

Shame