Young People in Ireland: What's behind the stereotype?

As a  youth worker (currently a volunteer youth worker) it is important to ensure young people are given the chance to be heard. It is important that negative stereotypes associated with young people are challenged and that young people are given the chance to have their say regarding these stereotypes, what they think about the stereotypes if any that have been imposed on them and how they themselves challenge these stereotypes and their overall opinions regarding stereotypes.




Interview No. 5





What’s your name? 
Aine L
What age are you?
20
Where do you live/ where are you based?
Galway
What stereotypes has Irish society put on you as a young person today? 
The only stereotype I can really think of is nights where I don't drink. I don't usually drink and I feel that because of that people presume you're quite 'innocent' or harmless and that you're not really into fun wild things.
Looking beyond that stereotype who are you? (How would your friends, family, and yourself describe you?) 
My friends and family would describe me as extremely outgoing and bubbly- have often said that even when I do drink it's nearly pointless because my personality doesn't change- unlike most peoples.
What kind of things do you enjoy doing?
I love typical young person things ie hanging with friends, watching movies, listening to music - I really enjoy trying new things too.
How do you contribute to Irish society? (Any small thing, what do you hope to do in the future e.g. college courses which will allow you to contribute to Society). 
I've done lots of charity work in the past, the most recent thing being helping kids read and do their homework in a disadvantaged school, I hope to contribute by doing more things like that and to some day become a kids presenter.
What would you like to say about stereotypes imposed on young people in Ireland?
I think there are a lot of stereotypes surrounding young people and drink that give everyone a bad name.
© There's Always Light at the End of the Tunnel. Design by Studio Kiwi.