Young People in Ireland: What's behind the stereotype?

As a  youth worker (currently a volunteer youth worker) it is important to ensure young people are given the chance to be heard. It is important that negative stereotypes associated with young people are challenged and that young people are given the chance to have their say regarding these stereotypes, what they think about the stereotypes if any that have been imposed on them and how they themselves challenge these stereotypes and their overall opinions regarding stereotypes.

Over the next couple of weeks I will have a series of interviews up here which have been conducted with young people under the age of 25 in an attempt to give young people the  space to express their opinions and indeed challenge the negative perceptions and stereotypes that some adults have of young people.
         

Interview No. 1



What’s your name? 

Aisling L
What age are you? 
21
Where do you live/ where are you based?
Celbridge
What stereotypes has Irish society put on you as a young person today? 
I think at my stage in life stereotypes cease to exist or at least at the same capacity they once did. If I had to say a category I guess it'd be quirky/tomboy/computer geek.
Looking beyond that stereotype who are you? (How would your friends, family, and yourself describe you?) 
I am who I am and embrace it thus why I am categorised as such I'm the outgoing quirky caring smiley tomboyish girl who's mad into computers and technology and typically male dominated sports (karate) and I wouldn't change that for the world.
What kind of things do you enjoy doing?
Karate, lifesaving, guitar, puzzles eg Rubik's cube solving, anything to do with computers, DIY, working on my car, helping out others and volunteering.
How do you contribute to Irish society? (Any small thing, what do you hope to do in the future e.g. college courses which will allow you to contribute to Society). 
I helped set up the Celbridge youth cafe, I volunteer down in my local pool teaching lifesaving, I try my best to lend a helping hand wherever and whenever I can.
What would you like to say about stereotypes imposed on young people in Ireland?
I personally never really felt like I was put in a box at any point in time growing up as I felt I never actually fitted into one per say. I think if people just embrace who they are and run with it then the idea that they're confined to a stereotype is just that nothing more than an idea.

© There's Always Light at the End of the Tunnel. Design by Studio Kiwi.