New Years Resolutions

I'm not one for making new years resolutions and should I feel the need to they are usually unrealistic and most certainly unattainable but this year is different and not in the sense that it is going to be a new year, new me kind of thing but in the sense that I want more from life and now is as good a time as any to try and achieve my goals. 

Doing something I never usually do I have come up with a short list of new years resolutions all of which are attainable should I committee 100% to achieving them. These new years resolutions are much more than just words on a piece of paper, more than just thoughts swimming around in my head, they are things that will contribute to me beginning to find out who I really am, they will allow me to continue to seek out my potential to live a happy healthy life and most importantly they will allow me to work on living my life to the best of my ability. Now in saying that some of these resolutions are just things I would like to do to improve things like my writing but all in all they all somehow contribute to me living a life that is worth living!

No.1 is the most important in my opinion. After surprising my friends by arriving at a house part on new years eve something which I don't usually do, something which often scares me and something which I avoid on the account of the present of alcohol consumption being at a maximum, I found I actually enjoyed myself. I really did. Not wanting to go originally but somehow finding the courage to go, I went, spent longer than expected and I actually really enjoyed myself. So on account of my friends being so supportive, patient and committed to our friendship I have realised I too need to me 100 % committed to our friendship. So my number one new years resolution is to initiative conversations and activities with my friends and just spends time with them and be the friend I once was!

No.2 DBT, having started the 6-month therapy programme designed to teach me how to cope in a more positive way other than self-harm in September I was committed to the programme. Unsure in the beginning, especially around the group work aspect of the programme but I knew that if I ever wanted to live a life free from self-harm I had to do it. Beginning in September I was motivated, not exactly 100% motivated but motivated enough to turn up to each session on time, complete any homework given and motivated enough to make an effort. However as the weeks went by my motivated decreased, I'm not really sure why but it did and attending the group session once a week became more of a chore than anything else. I was late a number of times and even missed a group session and eventually I got to the point where I considered dropping out altogether. With the help of my individual therapist, and by help I mean influence because she played a huge part in my decision in a positive way, she encouraged me to see out the end of the programme and that is what I have decided to do. It finishes in March with this next module being important for me to help me with my interpersonal skills I have made it a new years resolution to try and give the remaining time on the programme 100%, I made a commitment, and I need to follow through with it.

No.3 Get back into the swing of blogging. Last year my blog was lacking in content, I went from posting almost every day in 2013 to posting maybe once a week in 2014 with now posts at all from October to the end of December. My blog is a space for me to express myself and share my story with mental health issues with the aim of showing others that things do get better, I may not always be extremely positive but I feel that my blog is a positive space. I’ve missed writing, I really have so this year I'm hoping for a post a day, be it a written post or a photo it is my goal to have a post a day. Not only do I want to write everyday I want to ensure that my blog is more than just an online diary for me, I want it to be a resource for people, especially young people goring through a tough time but I also want it to be inclusive, I'm hoping that having achieved resolution No.1 I might have more everyday kind of posts

I have a few other little resolutions, things like eating better, spending more time training not just coaching, reading more to improve my use of language but the three resolutions are the most important. I also don't want to have to many otherwise I won't be able to achieve them all. 

So you know what my resolutions are, what are yours? 
© There's Always Light at the End of the Tunnel. Design by Studio Kiwi.