Mindfulness


Part of my DBT programme  is learning how to be mindful and a lot of people don’t understand what mindfulness is. Mindfulness is about living in the moment, being aware of the present and allowing your mind to be full yet focusing only on what is happening in the current moment.

Mindfulness is something which I have struggled with since being introduced to it while I was in hospital. Part of my treatment plan while in hospital involved taking part in a mindfulness group. I engaged with the programme  and struggled to focus on the present moment while I had some good days I never really got the hang of it. After being discharged from hospital I never continued with practicing mindfulness which is one of the reasons I'm not all that fond of it but I have been engaging with the DBT programme and the mindfulness and it is beginning to pay off because  the more I practice the easier it gets.


Living mindfully is not something which happens out of the blue, you don’t wake up one morning and and be able to live mindfully without any practice or repetition. Mindfulness takes time,  dedication and patience and it can be done in many different ways. For me athletics something which I do mindfully. While at athletics, be it coaching or training myself I am 100% in the moment, I don’t think about what I'm going to do when I go home, I don’t thinking about what happened yesterday or what will happen tomorrow. Once I walk into the track nothing but athletics matters and it is then when I am living in the moment. Not every time I go to athletics I am 100% in the moment. There are some days that I have to work hard to keep my attention on what I am doing but with constant practice it gets easier.


© There's Always Light at the End of the Tunnel. Design by Studio Kiwi.