What's in the box?


I thought it might be a good idea to share something with you guys that might help many of you out there who is dealing self-harm or any self-destructive actions, which you feel you need to get you through the day. I know what it is like to be addicted to something, I was addicted to self-harm and it was with a lot of hard work that I slowly began to come out of that addiction. Part of my recovery involved family and friends but another part of my recovery also included a box.

A box, which began as a show box, covered in blue sugar paper with the words home chest written on the lid. I began designing the box while I was in hospital after the suggestion of the OT to make a box filled with things that I can use to distract myself when I am feeling the self -harm urges. I have to admit that I was a bit hesitant in the beginning but I went and sourced a box thanks to another young person in the hospital at the time and went about designing the outside of my box.

It wasn’t what the box looked like that was important though it was what was inside the box that mattered. After all the decorating had been done which wasn’t much as I am not an incredibly creative or artistic person I set about figuring out what to put in this box. As the aim of the box was to help prevent me from self-harming I had to be extremely mindful of what I put into it as over the years I spent self-haring I was always finding new things to help satisfy my urges.

Over the past almost 2 years this box has remained a factor of my life. At times I used it to get me through hard times, other times I used it to remind me of special people in my life and often I used it to remind me that I have the power to overcome the thoughts and urges of self-harm. While my blue covered shoe box gradually became worn I began to turn to the items inside it less and less to help me but seeing as it is a new year I felt that it was time to gather the items which were once in the box and put them in another box one which may have a better chance at surviving my constant rearranging and redecorating of my bedroom.

So I found this box---------------------------------->


And I filled it with this important suff---------------->

All of the stuff inside my box reminds me that I am more than a mental illness, I am stronger than self-harm and I have what it takes to beat my depression and self-harm!! 

So if your making news years resolutions I would like to suggest that you make one which would be to gather things which allow you to feel good and remind you that you are stronger than you think you are, braver than you believe and that shows you you are important, cared about and loved. 

No comments yet. Please leave yours!

Amy McLoughlin said...

That's a great idea! I'm starting a jar of good things for this very reason!

Great post x

© There's Always Light at the End of the Tunnel. Design by Studio Kiwi.