It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas


Christmas is a magical time of year for many people but for others it can be a hard time with many struggles. I myself struggle during the run up to Christmas as Christmas has always been a family affair in my family and with the death of my mum and granddad it all changed. It is different now without them and even though they have both passed over three years ago for my granddad and eight years for my mum I still have not go used to not having them around Christmas time. Although they are not physically with me there are still some things I do every year which reminds me of them, mixing the pudding for one, eating the rashers of the turkey after midnight mass on Christmas eve and my all time favorite the long sleep after Christmas dinner!!

When you know you are coming to a specific time of the year you struggle with for example Christmas it is especially important to look after yourself and be a bit selfish in order to stay healthy both physically and mentally. So if your like me and struggle with Christmas time here are a few things that might make the Christmas period a little bit easier.

  • Take time to yourself. Do something that you like. Think about yourself, listen to music. Just have time to yourself. For me I listen to music. Go for a walk, clear your mind, forget about your worries just relax. Breath.
  • Read a child's book. They are usually happy and are guaranteed to make you smile. Read a Dr Susses book they are usually the best when it comes to needing a smile. Oh the places you will go have to be my favorite book, both inspirational and happy. It’s a real feel good book :) 
  • Bake some brownies. Baking is one of the best things that you can do when you feel like nothing. The best way to get motivated about baking knows that at the end of it all you have some nice chocolate brownies at the end. I mean what is a better way to brighten up your day. Go and buy some ice cream and then it will make your day even better. Ice cream and brownies especially after a long hard day of college.
  • Buy flowers. I love flowers that are bright and colorful. If you want something to make you smile then flowers are the right things to do. They are bright and you want to brighten up your day.... think about it. Its simple math bright flowers equal a brightened up day.
  • Sing in the shower. It doesn't have to be in the shower but it can be if you want. Just sing to your hearts content. It’s not the x-factor so it doesn't matter if you’re good or bad. Just sing and sure dance too. Let your hair down and even whip your hair back and forth. Just let loose and sing your lungs out. 
  • Find someone to hug. There is nothing better tan an amazing hug for someone that you love. Just hold them tight and don’t think about anything.
  • Ice Cream and movies. Get a blanket, a friend, the movie beaches and some Ben and Jerry ice cream. I don’t think that needs anymore explaining :)
Finally a while back I was asked to help a student make a documentary regarding mental health, this is the end product:


No comments yet. Please leave yours!

© There's Always Light at the End of the Tunnel. Design by Studio Kiwi.