What to do after school?



As I am half way through my leaving cert (Thank God) I am preparing for the next step in my life- college! I can consider myself as lucky at this point as I have already been offered a place in NUI Maynooth for their youth and community youth work course. I still need to get certain grades in my leaving cert to completely secure my place on the course but this course is something that I feel passionate about. I, in many ways have my future path secure (almost) but there are others that are not in the same position as I am in. 

Many people may be unsure as to what they would like to do when they finish school, some may have time to plan while others may be frantically rushing to decide what to do after school. Here are a few ideas of things you might like to do after school and especially after the dreaded leaving cert.

  • There is always the obvious which is going to college. You could go to college in Ireland or abroad and the possibilities of what you could study are endless. There is everything from medicine to journalism you name it I'm sure you would be able to find a course which suits you. For more info on different colleges visit- qualifax.ie and careersportal.ie And just remember that if you do not get into college through the CAO there is always other ways to get into a course you like!
  • An apprenticeship. For people who learn better while working or for those who would like to do something different this may be the thing for you. This may also be the thing for you if you wish to work in professions such as mechanics. These have since become very hard to come across as a result of the current recession but there is still a number of apprenticeship around.
  • If possible find a job. Spend some time working and saving up some money. You may be able to find a job which you like and start at the bottom and work your way up to the top.
  • Travel- take some time out and go to all of the places you have ever wanted to go to!

So if you don't know what to do when you leave school don't fret there are so many options! And the leaving cert points don't matter that much, there are so many other ways into college. So if you are confused about what to do after school just relax, take some deep breaths and just think about it, the worlds your oyster! 

No comments yet. Please leave yours!

© There's Always Light at the End of the Tunnel. Design by Studio Kiwi.