Guest Post #11

Ok so here it goes, Siobhán asked me ages ago to write a post for the blog, and I guess I have been kind of busy so I have not got around to it.
So I guess that my experience of mental health is complete different from that of Siobhan’s, even though it came from the exacts same place, or more events! I wasn’t the person who had the mental health problems, but rather someone who saw them. Before Siobhán had all of these problems I will be complete honest I was one of those people who just surged mental health off, I didn’t see the importance of it at all! I just thought it was another thing we just heard abbot, but god was I wrong. Mental health is probably the most important thing for us as people to take care of it, without good mental health we would not be able to lead “normal” life’s (now what is normal is a question in itself), but without a good and strong mental health we lose our self’s, and our place within society and it isolates us. Why, well because unlike a physical illness it is not understood and accepted so we make it a taboo, and choose to ignore the problem, because let’s face it that is what this society is great at doing.
I know that was my attitude towards the issue for so long, well if I had even formed a full attitude that would have been it. Now though things are different, I have lived through depression, I have seen what it can do to people, how it can destroy a person, but also how it can bring a whole family together. The one thing that I will always say is true about the struggles Siobhán went through is that it brought our family together and actually made us a family! Just as I said to Siobhán once “I will be honest there are nights that I don’t sleep because I miss you, and because I don’t know what’s going to happen, there are days I worry that you future could be confined to this what it is now, and there are days I worry that I’m going to lose you”, that is how I felt so often through everything, but then I saw the strength and courage that she displayed to overcome the illness and I knew that I would have her for years more, and that she was going to go on and become an inspiration for so many, because she is so strong, and so kind hearted and one of those rare people who can actually make a difference in this world!

The battle Siobhán went through reminds me of a quote I once saw “To get up when you are down, to fight more intensely when you are struggling, to put in the extra effort when you are in such pain, to comeback when nobody expects you to, and to stand tall when everybody is pulling you down, is what makes you a champion”. A champion, a funny word that, I instantly think of Katie Taylor, Derval O’Rourke, Jessica Ennis, people who inspire me, but the one true champion that I know, and that inspires me to live my life to the full, and to fight and make a difference in this world is Siobhán Brady!
I wanted to have structure on this post, but somehow I find myself just writing and not planning, so I hope that it makes sense.
This blog is so important and I respect all of the work that has gone into it, for a person to be so open and so honest about such a hard time, about a time that was so difficult and a time that felt as if there would be no tomorrow is amazing. Most people want to forget those times and leave them behind, that is not happening here, Siobhán is sharing those times in the hope that she can help other people and in the hope that people can and will talk about mental health, so that maybe it will be less of a taboo, and people will understand it more, and ultimately peoples life’s will be saved!
I think that sharing her story is brilliant, and that it is a true show of resilience because, Resiliency is the ability to not only overcome challenge and crisis, trauma and tragedy, but also to bounce back stronger, wiser and more impactful than ever. And that is what Siobhán has done, she has shown that she is a truly resilient champion, because she has not let one thing define her, she has stood above it all and grown from her experiences and is truly an inspiration to all.

No comments yet. Please leave yours!

© There's Always Light at the End of the Tunnel. Design by Studio Kiwi.