Wave change



A few weeks ago I spent the weekend with a group of 40 plus people I had never met before. These people were all between the ages of 18 and 40 and I just happened to be the only one doing my leaving cert. I mean what are the chances of that happening with a room full of 40 plus people!! Anyway I spent the weekend at the Wave Change boot camp 2013. It was held in Dublin and was run over two days. Right ok I’m sure some of you don’t have a clue what I am rambling on about so let me explain to you what wave change is.
Wave change is a programme that supports people between the ages of 18 and 25 who want to make a difference in the world. These differences could be based around mental health or education or anything that you feel passionate about. The possibilities are endless. If selected for the programme wave change support and invest in your idea during a ten month intensive programme to make your idea a reality.

So I applied for wave change this year thanks to Mrs L informing me about it. My idea was a mental health module for transition years to help and promote positive metal health and raise awareness. I was selected for the boot camp which was help on one day which involve team work, talks, workshops and much more. The boot camp was held on a Saturday from 9.30 until 5.30 with people from all around the country. It ended on Saturday with a trip to the pub, luckily for me I’m 18 but unluckily for me I had a leaving cert to go home and study for :( A well the people I met there were amazing and I am still in contact with some of them even though I didn’t go to the pub.

The second day of the boot camp involved an interview to see if you were to progress onto the final 25 people who would be taking part in the ten month programme. I didn’t feel my interview went well and I didn’t get accepted into the programme but I can still go ahead with my project anyway. I have every intention in applying again next year when I don’t have to worry about my leaving cert!!! I will keep applying until I get accepted!! But I had an amazing weekend; met some amazing and inspirational people and I have been exposed to a whole new aspect of life. So I guess I decided to write this post to say thanks to everybody for the amazing weekend and a huge thanks to Steve who saved me and helped me make it to my interview after I got lost, my phone died and fell. If it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t have made it there at all but I did make it there and only five minutes late. Luckily for me it was a real relaxed kind of thing and being late to the interview didn’t go against me!! Thank God for that!!

No comments yet. Please leave yours!

© There's Always Light at the End of the Tunnel. Design by Studio Kiwi.