Guest Post.


Here is a post from a very close friend of mine sharing her experience of ill mental health. It took a lot of courage to write this and I think that she deserves a lot of credit for her courage.  She highlights some very important facts in this piece so please read carefully.

Hey my name is Nicola and I have a mental illness.

Mental illness is the same as a physical illness except it’s to do with the mind! It could happen to anyone of us at any stage of our life's…..For whatever reason it just happened to happen to Siobhan and me at such a young age but we did not ask for it to happen to us. I cannot change that I have this illness but I accept it now and I’m ok with it. It’s part of who I am. I’m not ashamed to say I suffer with a mental illness. It does not change who you are as a person it changes your thoughts and sometimes your actions depending on your situation but this can all be controlled by therapy and help. here are a lot of people suffering from mental health problems and young  people find it particularly hard because they find it hard to take that first step to reach out for help BUT it is worth it in the long run!

I am a recovering self-harmer. I am much better then how I was when I first started self-harming. I have my good and bad days. It’s hard having scars but they will fade in time and hay there’s always a solution to the problem! Only recently I learned by telling other people to have things to plan and look forward to is a good thing and that that is something you would be excited for and looking too do like a trip to the cinema or some Nandos(I love Nandos)but this has really worked for me planning things. People have told me to plan things before but I never listened but it’s great! I would
recommend trying it

I was admitted to a few different psychiatrist hospitals(a few adolescent ones in Dublin and one in England) and it took me along time to settle into somewhere were I felt comfortable!I will not go into what the hospitals are like because Siobhan has done that on previous posts BUT they are nothing like movies. I am friends with Siobhan. I met her in hospital and we have made great friends! I think what she is doing to raise awareness of mental health is great! We as a community need to do more about it! The stigma around mental health in Ireland and in general is terrible and something needs to be done about it. Siobhan’s idea about Label Jars Not People is a great idea and I hope people help her raise awareness and raise money for Aware!

I would encourage people if they are having problems to get help as soon as possible and not leave it to progress and get worse! Talking is good! I will admit I don’t think I’m the best talking person in my sessions I like to write my feelings down and then show them. I would even recommend that then show it to someone. I find family a great support and my friends even talk to them and they can direct you in the way of getting help and support you on your way.

I have 3 tattoos they all have meanings my first one is of a swallow and hope, the second one is a design for new beginnings and the third “I was not built to break”!.............There is always hope even when you think there’s not, there’s new beginnings in life when you feel your old ways weren’t working for me it was self harming and I have been through a lot and I haven’t broken I have a few cracks that I got on the way but I did not break.

I have a dream to write a book about my experiences about everything I have gone through. I will have to improve my writing skills Then you can read all about it. My new year’s resolution is going to be 1-My book and 2-Join organisations that help out and speak up about my experiences!

Well I think that is all I can think of for the time being. I’m sure as soon as I mail this to Siobhan I will need to say a lot more. There is always so much to say on this subject but I can’t say it in one writing.I hope you all enjoyed reading this and I know Siobhan has said it but talking is so important! There is so much stigma attached to mental health that doesn’t need to be that must go.




No comments yet. Please leave yours!

noeleen said...

Well done Nicola! Perhaps you could get practice for your book by starting your own blog? Get Siobhan to help - she's my No 1 blogger!!!
Mrs L :)

Anonymous said...

thank you:)oh i dont no about my own blog but if i do i will ask siobhan to teach me how to blog:L

© There's Always Light at the End of the Tunnel. Design by Studio Kiwi.